Monday, December 22, 2008

STFU, Gun Dude

Just recently took to operating one of those little L-shaped black things that turn money into a loud BANG. So I'm reading up on this and that, and I got to wondering what a "two-stage trigger" is. You figure Google is the place to start with a thing like that, but maybe not:

So let's understand [sic] the differences between "take-up" and "creep." Take-up is a wonderfully replicated feeling/action, found in 2 stage triggers, in preparation of firing, and creep is when you think you are trying to fire, but you just seem to keep pulling the trigger & it does not break cleanly. Creep is found in both single & double stage triggers.

Well, there it is: A two-stage trigger is one that has a "wonderfully replicated feeling/action", except that some of them have the other thing, which is something else, and you don't want that. Whatever it is. But so I took my pistol out and tried dry-firing it, and while for all I know the feeling/action may have been "replicated", I don't beleve it was wonderfully so. Therefore, I may have a two-stage trigger, or I may not. Which is a comfort.

There are some subjects I do know something about: Electric guitars and amplifiers, and programming computers, within certain limits. When I see somebody wasting a novice's time with non-information or anti-information about tube amps or intonation or operator overloading in C++, or JavaScript in general1, I can see the humor in it.

So it's fairly weird to find myself, well on in adulthood, being the one whose time is arbitrarily wasted by fools.

 

1 Last I checked, pretty much 99% of what there was to be read about JavaScript online was clueless bullshit. They returned tuples in arrays. They didn't know what closures were. Sad stuff. The people who write about it are not programmers. I don't know what the hell they are.

UPDATE

But look at it this way: If pain is the sensation of weakness leaving the body, this kind of frustration is the sensation of knowledge entering it. If it's unfamiliar, it must have been too long since you learned anything new.

No comments: